07 November 2007

Belief Pusher-Man

When I first told you a bit about myself, I failed to mention that I was an Environmental Studies - English Major. You may be wondering what exactly that is, and I will give you this brief answer. Environmental Literature. You can figure the rest out from there if you care so much. Anyway, the third unit of the class I'm TA'ing recently began and the readings, and ideas are ones close to my heart.

Recently the students read an article from Harper's by McKenzie Funk. They read a piece from Aldo Leopold - one of my favorites - and for Monday they will be reading a piece from Leslie Marmon Silko. All of these pieces are of interest to myself, and so when the students ask questions, or look to me for answers it's extremely difficult for me to give a clear unbiased answer. I find myself interjecting my own agenda about global warming or animal rights. I take into account all the texts I've read concerning environmental ethics. While it is a teachers job to encourage students to think - this may be accomplished by throwing your passion into what you do - it is important not to be so one sided as to not see the other. If we do not acknowledge or teach both sides of a point we are doing nothing but brainwashing. Yes, it would be nice if all of our students decided to believe in our individual system of beliefs, but believing requires understanding all sides and choosing the one best suited for you.

In reflection, I guess I shouldn't have said that the US Government doesn't care or acknowledge global warming because when the Arctic is substantially melted in fifteen to twenty years, the US will expand it's control of natural resources, and will be the proud new owners of over half a trillion dollars of petroleum. Oops.

1 comment:

pollock said...

"In reflection, I guess I shouldn't have said that the US Government doesn't care or acknowledge global warming because when the Arctic is substantially melted in fifteen to twenty years, the US will expand it's control of natural resources, and will be the proud new owners of over half a trillion dollars of petroleum. Oops."

thats awesome