29 September 2007

Catch Up

Long Days
So it goes like this:

I graduated from St. Lawrence University in 2005. I was pretty sure I wanted to teach, but was one of those college seniors that failed to think about graduate school and a job until spring break -- too late to apply for much. Scared and lost I decided to apply for a job teaching English in South Korea. A month after getting my oh-so-precious piece of paper, I was half-way across the globe trying to teach kindergartners how to speak proper English. Luckily, I had taken some undergraduate education classes so I wasn't completely lost. I had to return to the States pre-maturely -- for a reason I can tell only if you ask -- and decided that teaching was in fact what I wanted to do for sometime of my life, perhaps all. I applied and enrolled in an MAT program at a small private college where I now reside in a leaky apartment.

One of the classes I'm currently taking requires that we keep a blog of our expierences in the classroom. For most people this would be their expierences while completing the state mandated one-hundred hours of observation time, or their internships at local schools. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I completed my observation hours while bumbling through my under-graduate work and won't be embarking on my student teaching until the Spring semester, long after this assignment is due.

I was told that I could update this blog with responses to the assigned reading, and figured this would be what I was doing. Then I realized, I am in a classroom. Earlier this summer I was approached by a professor and encouraged to apply for a graduate assistantship. I did so and am currently a teachers assistant for an English 101 class - hence this wonderfully creative title. No doubt there will be differences between a high school class, and a college class, but the intellectual level that the students are on should be about the same as it is doubtful that the summer between your senior year of high school and freshman year of college is that transforming.

1 comment:

Tintern Abbey said...

What happened that made you have to leave early?

You don't have to tell me if you don't want to

Stacy.