15 December 2007

Pygmalion From The Start

If you are semi-read, or work in the education field, you have probably heard of the Pygmalion Effect, or the Self-Fulfilling Prophecy. If you have not, it is basically what the latter title suggests. If I assume my students will not get a concept, chances are pretty good that they will recognize this doubt in my teaching the lesson, and in turn, they will not get the concept. I expected them not to, so why should they try?

Recently I found out my student teaching placements; both are near-by districts, and both are fightingurban settings. This is good. I want to get a job in The City come next fall, and this as close as it gets. The first district is more local than the other, and some of the individuals I work with at my job beeping groceries have graduated from that district. We have discussed my student teaching briefly, and some customers have heard where I was going. Most customers have a comment, and they all lie along the same idea - I will need help. I have received comments like "God bless you" or "Good luck with that one. You're going to need it." No one has offered me a positive response like "Oh, that will be a good experience."happy

It also goes beyond the customers in the local area. In talking to individuals who have never set foot in this district, or even the town, I have heard them begin to demean the students and the district. Where does this bias come from? Is it because it is an urban district? Is it that it is a seemingly troubled city? Why this unfounded bias?

I am not suggesting that these kids are angels, nor am I suggesting that they are devils, but this is the only response I receive from customers - from the public. Perhaps maybe this has something to do with the possible negative attitudes of students in these schools? Maybe a fight breaks out once upon a time, and suddenly there is talk with in the community at how the school is going down hill, and it's expected that more fights, and more issues come to light, and it happens.

Maybe I am giving the district too much credit without actually stepping foot in the building, but regardless, we must remember that when we have low expectations, and it becomes publicly known that our expectations are low, the results will be low.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're in reality a [url=http://pandorauk-shop.co.uk]pandora beads uk[/url] good webmaster. The website loading pace is amazing. [url=http://pandorauk-shop.co.uk]pandora uk[/url] , It sort of feels that you are doing any distinctive trick. In addition, The contents are masterwork. you've performed a magnificent activity in this topic!

Anonymous said...

Excellent beаt ! I wish tο appгеntice while уоu amеnd уour ωebsite, hoω could i subscribe for а blоg site?
Thе account helped mе а aсceptаblе
deal. I hаd beеn а little bit acquaintеԁ оf thiѕ your broadcast
ρroѵidеd bright сlear сoncept
My webpage planetside 2 hacks